Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Maternal Instinct (with Cool Aunt Attitude)

I was washing dishes this afternoon, watching through the kitchen window as a gaggle of smallish boys rode their bikes up and down my driveway. I have an awesome driveway launch, it's steep but safe. Mostly. I looked down to rinse a dish, looked up and saw one of them laid out flat on his back in the middle of the street. In what seemed like a millisecond, I had dropped my dish, left the water running and was in the street assisting. I was strangely calm and knew what to check before trying to move him. Little Grant had wiped out hard, but nothing was broken. Cuts and bruises and shaky nerves. He was crying a little, but I picked him up and set him straight. I grabbed him by both shoulders, shook him a little and said, "Look at you, you're going to have the most awesome bruises tomorrow and you'll get to show all your friends at school!" He smiled, a friend brought him his bike and then they were gone.