Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lies, Lies and More Lies!

Confession time. I've been stewing about it all day, and I've decided to get it off my chest. I lied a terrible lie today. It was a random, horrible lie, and I don't even know where it came from. There was no real motive behind it, it just sort of happened. A creepy man started hitting on me at the restaurant. He hits on everyone, and I knew it was coming. He was asking me a bunch of questions, one of which was, "So...what does your husband do?" -- a leading question, and I knew he was waiting for me to say, "I don't have a husband." Instead, I opened my mouth, and said, "My husband died." Immediately, I was trapped. You can't say, "Just kidding," after something like that. You can't break character. You can't really, do anything. Except follow the lie into a swirling mass of followup lies to add substance and detail to the original lie. He apologized, and asked how old he was. I said, "35. Pancreatic cancer. It was devastating." At this point, my internal organs have begun to revolt against my body, not wanting to be in the same room with me. I don't even want to be in the same room with me. He apologized again, and started telling me about a friend of his who knew a guy who had cancer. Eventually, he took his seat and didn't say another word to me. I have been sick about it all day. I don't know what the f*ck compelled me make something up so hideous, but I did, and I can't take it back, and I dread seeing this man ever again for fear that he'll bring it up, and I'll be forced to either fall back into a terrible, pointless lie or own up to a heartless concoction. Meh, gross, ick. I need a shower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it was just the 'Hanon' coming out in you...

don't beat yourself up so much...you were just trying to get a 'creep' off your back.

mom

Anonymous said...

Well, it sort of qualifies as "SO not funny that it's funny", kind of like going as a pregnant lady to a Halloween party where no one knows you, claiming you're not in costume, drinking, and bringing down the wrath of all upon you for hurting your "baby." ;) I understand why you feel bad about it, but it also actually made me smile a little, because I could totally picture it.