Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Relationshit Drama.

To use a term stolen from the wildly funny whilst irritating Dane Cook, I'm currently wrestling with various RELATIONSHITS. A relationshit is a relationship that has turned sour. In my case, I have a cluster of relationshits from which I am trying to extricate myself. I have realized that in holding onto friends from long ago who can't even be bothered to return my phone calls, I am sucking up energy that would be better spent on REAL friends, both close and distant who are worth hanging on to.

Paramount to overcoming these relatioshits is getting past my own ego, letting go of the rejection I feel because their incompetence. If they only bother with me when it's convenient for them, it doesn't mean that I'm disposable and it doesnt make them bad people, it just makes them shitty friends who don't deserve the amount of energy I'm throwing at them.

Then, it's time to grieve, as with any loss. If you don't grieve the loss, you can never let go.

At some point, I will need to set some healthy boundaries with people who drunk dial at 3am but never call sober, people who set and break phone dates repeatedly and people who only seem engaged when there is inappropriate flirting involved.

More soon!
Love,
Mandy

No comments: